Onion Uttappam especially made with Small onion is a tasty South Indian sidedish. It is a signature dish for hotel chains like Murugan Idli kadai and Namma veedu Vasantha Bhavan.
I grew up with hatred towards Uttappam until I happened to see someone eating this at a eatery near Cuddalore bus stand. My god!! That crispy, oil drooling Uttappam with caramelized onions with a lavish sprinkle of curry leaves and coriander leaves and finely cut chillies. I can see and feel the uttappam as I write this post. It looked as if the uttappam is fried not the one made in tawa. I instantly ordered it and enjoyed.
My mother cuts onions and mixes with the batter. The onions get cooked not roasted, leaving half-done feeling. I realized then that it is the method to make the uttappam that makes the difference.
My husband is a big fan of Uttappam and he is not for those crispy dosas. I make this on weekends, either with small onions or with mixed vegetables. My younger son who is a real foodie make a cry as they do hotel, “Master, Oru plate podi onion uttappam”.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Breakfast/Tiffin
Prep time: 10 Mins | Cooking time: 15 Mins | Makes: 4 nos
Small onions/Shallots – 20 nos
Green chillies – 2 nos
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Coriander leaves – 1 Tablespoon
Ghee / Oil – 4 Uttappam
Idli Batter – 4 laddle
- Slice small onions, green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves finely.
- Apply ½ Tsp of oil in the tawa before putting the tawa on stove and let the tawa become hot. You can check the readiness of the tawa by sprinkling 1 tsp of water. Water should splutter signifies readiness of tawa.
- Spread the batter carefully. Spread a small round with ¼’’ thickness.
- Top the Uttappam with the cut vegetables. Cook covered for 1 min.
- Remove the lid, and spread 1 tsp of oil around the Uttappam and 1 tsp of oil inside the uttappam.
- Reduce the flame to low and flip the Uttappam. Cook for 2 more minutes allowing onions to caramelize.
Related: You might like to try Paneer Masala Dosa also. Do check it out and let me know your comments.
Related: Do read Troubleshooting Dosa – Common mistakes and remedies.
- Age of the batter is more important. Use batter that is less than 3 days old for crispy uttappam.
- I prefer Idli batter than dosa batter as idli batter typically has more Urad dal content making the uttappam soft.
- You can use large onion also but nothing can beat the taste of small onion. Healthwise also small onion scores over large onion.
- Topping can be any mixed vegetable. Vegetables such as carrot, beans, cabbage and capsicum goes well. But all vegetables should be shredded otherwise they will not cook well.
- Always top uttappam with vegetables.
- Good dosa requires quality cast iron tawa. While you can do it in any tawa, for crispy and even cooking cast iron tawa is the best.
- Do not spread the batter more than what your ladle is capable of handling.
- Be generous in oil. Uttappam needs that much oil for becoming crisp. I prefer gingelly oil for cooking dosa.