Sundal and Navaratri’s are inseparable. We follow tradition of golu in our family, but this year we do not have. Still we give haldi-kumkum to ladies who invite us to partake prasadam from their house. When I was a young girl, my mother will ask me and my sister to represent her to neighbor’s house. Every house will ask us to sing a song before giving prasadam.
I had never learnt music formally but can sing enough to get prasadam. Mami, cannot refuse prasadam just because I did not sing well, right. I was never shy to sing in my young age.
Now, after growing up, given its health benefits and ease of cooking, I cook sundal at least 4 days a week. It is such a simple dish and I take it to office to have as a snack around 4pm. Good right J
Here is Rajma Sundal, I prepared and packed for my snack. Do try and let me know your feedback on this recipe.
Kashmiri Rajma recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Snack
Prep time: 5 mins |Cook time: 20 mins | Soaking time: 10 hours| Serves: 2
Kashmiri Rajma – ½ cup
Salt – as needed
Grated coconut – 3 tablespoon
Sundal Powder : To grind:
Channal dal – 1 tablespoon
Coriander seeds (Dhania) – 1 tablespoon
Red chilli – 2 nos
Oil – 1 table spoon
Mustard – ¼ tsp
Red chilli – 2 nos
Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Soak Rajma overnight in sufficient water. Drain water and wash again. Rajma will bleed color which is normal.
- Add few spoon of water and pressure cook rajma till tender. Rajma takes slightly more time to cook. Give at least 5 whistle or cook for 15 min.
- Post cooking, Rajma should burst. If not, check the cooking by pressing them to see if you are able to mash them with your fingers.
- Dry roast the ingredients given in the “To grind” list and grind them to coarse powder.
- In a kadai, heat oil and temper. Add cooked Rajma, salt and powder as above. Give it a stir.
- Switch off, and then add grated coconut.
- Basic Sundal powder has many uses. You can use it for poriyals (Curries) and use it for making Arachuvitta sambar and kootu. I always have it handy in my kitchen.
- Just add a few spoon of water and cook Rajma. Rajma would cook based on the water it had absorbed.