Here is an simple Karamani sundal recipe. Karamani is also known as Lobia.
Do you know that Karamani need not be soaked for making Sundal. Normally, people make pasiparuppu sundal (Split moong dal) sundal as instant sundal. You can do the same with karamani too. There are two varieties of karamani, white and Red. Normally I make white karamani as a spicy sundal and Red karamani as a sweet sundal. Here is a recipe with white karamani. Do let me know your feedback on this recipe.
Instant Karamani Sundal (Spicy) recipe
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Snack
Prep time: 10 mins |Cook time: 20 min | Serves: 4
Karamani – ¼ cup
Water – 1 and ½ cup
Salt – as needed
Asefoetida – one small pinch
Oil – 1 table spoon
Mustard – ¼ tsp
Green chilli (Chopped) – 1 nos
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- In a kadai, dry roast karamani in medium flame for about 3 min. Keep stirring to avoid karamani turning color.
- Add 1 and ½ cup of water, when karamani is hot in the kadai.
- Transfer to pressure cooker with the water and cook for 10 min or 5 whistle.
- Karamani would give good volume and hence add sufficient water. Check if it is fully cooked by pressing it with finger. If not, give it some more time to cook.
- Once cooked, strain excess water from the cooked karamani.
- In a kadai, add oil and heat. Add mustard. Once it cracks, add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add cooked karamani along with salt and Asefoetida. Give it a stir and switch off flame.
- Once karamani cools a bit, squeeze lemon and mix well.
- If karamani is soaked in step 2 for 2 hours, cooking time will reduce and cooking would be more even.
- Instead of Lemon, you can add Coconut and mango pieces also.