Palak soup is a very easy soup that can be made in a Jiffy. It is creamy, tasty and healthy soup. Every morning at our place, we have the vendor, shouting and selling greens (Keerai). It is a feast to eyes to see loads of fresh greens loaded in pull carts. I usually buy greens that I can immediately cook. Given that other keerai take some time to clean, I always pickup easy ones like Palak/Baby methi (Vendaya keerai) which are easy to clean.
Palak is a versatile green. Like Potato, it lends itself any type of cooking. You can find many recipes with palak ranging from palak roti to Palak paneer.
I make serious attempts to make greens part of at least one meal, and palak soup is my favorite. It is very simple to prepare, delicious and nutritious. As part of my daily soup to my family, I prepare this soup often. Do make this and enjoy.
Palak Soup-Creme of Spinach
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Soup/Starter
Prep time: 5 Mins | Cooking time: 10 Mins | Serves: 2
Indian Palak or Bombay palak – 1 bunch
Milk – 100 Ml
Sugar – 1 pinch
Salt – 1Tsp
Pepper – As per taste
Cheese – for garnish
- Clean, remove thick stalk and roughly chop the palak and add it in the pan. Add few spoons of water with a pinch of sugar and close lid. Cook till palak reduces in volume. It normally take less than 5 minutes.
- Cool palak and blend to a fine paste without any lumps.
- Add milk and dilute to soup consistency by adding water.
- Add salt and pepper. Give it a stir and serve.
Your colorful and creamy soup is ready.
Tips and Notes:
- You can sauté palak in butter for better flavor.
- You can add a pearl of garlic along with palak if you like the smell. If so, cooking time should be increased as garlic takes a bit more time to cook.
- Substitute crème with milk if you want a rich soup.
- You can garnish with grated cheese as I had done.