Curry powder is a spice mix that you can keep handy all the time. I have certain spice mix always available. The ones that I use are
- Sambar powder
- Rasam powder
- Curry powder
- Instant Rasam powder
- Paruppu podi
- Idli Milagai podi (Gun powder)
Of the above, sambar powder and Rasam powder my mother prepares and send to me once every 2 months. I generally do not go to flour mill. The finer dust around the mill triggers allergic asthama in me and causes anxious moments at home. I limit myself to making those powders that can be made in mixie. For these also, the job of transferring them to containers belong to my husband.
You can use this mix as a
- Topping in Sundal
- As a spice paste for Arachuvitta Sambar
- Topping in Curries/Poriyals
- Spiced rice mixes like Vazhaikai podi
It is very simple to make and saves lot of time in every day grinding. I make a mix of about 120 grams and it lasts about 2 weeks for me.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Quick aids
Prep time: 5 mins |Cook time: 10 min | Gives: 120 grams
Coriander seeds / Dhaniya – 50 grams
Channa dal / Kadalai paruppu – 50 grams
Whole Red Chilli (dry) – 10-15 nos
- Dry roast the ingredients till ingredients are roasted and change color.
- Allow it to cool and powder them in a mixer.
- Store in airtight container.
- Note that I had specified measures in grams. Incase you are using small cup, replace 1 cup channa dal to 1 and ½ cup of Dhania seeds. Dhania has very less weight when compared with Channa dal.