Vada is a versatile fritter that can be turned into Curd Vada, Rasa vada and Sambar Vada. Is it just dunking them in Curd/Rasam/Sambar? Or is there more to it. As a child I always thought Curd + Vada = Curd vada. When I tried that I was left with a feeling that I am tasting Vada with curd as sidedish. What a disgrace to the dish itself.
I personally love Curd vada a lot, especially the ones made by Saravana Bhavan in the good old days. It is perfect vada dunked in creamy spiced curd. Later, in some capacity, I had peep in access to Saravana bhavan kitchen and learnt some techniques. By just peeping in, if I am able to get these tips, not sure the loads of tips and tricks professional cooks would have.
Here is the fool proof recipe on Curd vada.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian |Recipe Category: Snack
Soak time: 20 min | Cook time: 10 min | Makes: 8 pieces
Fresh Vada – 8 pieces
Milk – 100ml
Water – 300ml
Curd – 200ml
Salt – to taste
Coconut (scrapped) – 1 tablespoon
Green chilli – 1 piece
Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon (for garnish)
Carrot leaves – 1 tablespoon (for garnish)
Boondhi Salted – 1 tablespoon (for garnish)
- Make fresh vada as given in the recipe in the link.
- In a container boil milk and keep aside. Warm water. Combine milk and water and bring to warm temperature.
- Soak the vada in a shallow contained with the milk+water mixture till time of serving.
- Grind coconut with chilli into a fine paste. Add curd to bind them. Do not add water.
- Whisk the curd without lumps into a smooth paste, adding Salt. Add the ground coconut mixture to the curd.
- At the time of serving, remove the vada from the mixture. Arrange vada in serving bowl.
- Pour the whisked curd on the vada and leave for 5 min.
- Garnish with Coriander leaves, carrot and Boondhi. Serve immediately.
Enjoy Curd vada. Do try and let me know your comments on this.
- Vada should be in room temperature and water should warm. Adding hot vada to hot liquid makes vada soggy. Similarly if both vada and liquid are cold, then vada would not absorb any liquid. Later Curd would not blend. Vada absorbs the curd only if retains some liquid inside.