I tasted carrot halwa only after my marriage. My mother was too good in making wheat halwa that she considers only Tirunelveli style halwa as halwa. She would say if you decide to make halwa, why making it with something else. True that nothing can beat wheat halwa, the amount of ghee and sugar in it is a sure deterrent. Many time after making Tirunelveli style halwa as halwa, I do not feel like eating it.
My mother-in-law makes carrot halwa often as my husband likes it the most. Only in the month of November till January we get “Delhi Carrots” in Chennai. Commonly available carrot is from Ooty which is in bright orange color. It is very tasty. But the Delhi carrots are more juicy and are in bright red color. I saw them in Pazhamudhir and instantly bought a kilo. My husband helped me in shredding it and I made good quantity of halwa.
- 1 Kg Carrots Prefer Delhi Carrots
- 1 Ltr Milk Full creame
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Raisin
Peel carrots and grate them in a grater. Garting carrots gives it a good texture. You can decide on the size of the grated pieces, I prefer the long thick ones than the shorter one.
I used electric rice cooker to make it. You can use Kadai also. I prefer electric cooker as there is very less manual work needed. Grease the vessel with one tbsp of ghee and add the carrots to the vessel. Add milk also and let the carrots cook in milk . Keep the vessel open to allow water to evaporate.
It would take about 30 minutes time for the carrots to cook well and the carrot+milk to become one solid mass. At this stage, add sugar and mix well. The mixture will dilute first and in next 10 minutes it would solidify.
At this stage carrot halwa would have turned into one solid mass. In a kadai, add one tablespoon of Ghee and fry the raisins. Add the raisins to the carrot halwa and mix well.
- My husband like carrots cooked in milk. In restaurants, normally they do not add milk as it reduces shelf life. Also plain carrots add bright color to the dish. Adding milk makes it dull.
- Instead of plain milk, you can cook carrots separately (it hardly takes 20 minutes for carrots to cook in its own juice, no need to add water) and add condensed milk to it. This would reduce cooking time.
- You can add Khoya to the cooked carrots instead of condensed milk.
But believe me, nothing can beat the taste of carrots cooked well in milk. I like to enjoy hot halwa topped with a scoop of ice creme.
To make this recipe, here are the things that I had used.
Some of the links above are affiliate links who pay me a small referral fee. Thanks for supporting Rasakitchen.
Carrot Halwa-Gajar ka Halwa-Step by Step pictures
1. Peel carrots and grate them finely.
2. Grease the kadai or the inner vessel of electric rice cooker and add carrots and milk and cook till carrots becomes a mass.
3. Add sugar to the mass and cook till they become a mass again.
4. In a kadai, heat ghee. Add raisins and fry till they turn brown. Add the fried raisins to the cooked halwa.